Did you undergo knee replacement surgery recently? Post-surgery, your knee specialist might have also recommended simple home excercises after knee surgery.
Here in this complete guide, we will help you with five simple home exercises after knee surgery. We suggest you perform these activities under strict supervision. Before following these exercises mentioned below, heed your orthopaedic surgeon’s or physiotherapist’s advice. Kindly do these knee exercises after surgery, for about 20 to 30 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day.
Bounce back to health quicker with these 5 simple home exercises after knee surgery.
- 1. Ankle Pumps
- You can sit or lie down to do this exercise.
- Now, bend and straighten the ankles. Make sure to do it slowly.
- To get a good stretch, keep your knees straight as much as possible.
- Keep your toes pointed and move the ankles up and down.
Note: You need to move your whole ankle, not just the toes.
- 2. Knee Presses
- Lie on your back with both legs straight.
- Keep a pillow or a towel roll beneath your leg for assistance.
- Move your knee cap up and down while keeping your muscles tight.
- Hold your leg for 5 seconds in the air, then relax your thigh muscles.
Note: One may slightly bend the knee back into a comfortable position during the brief rest break.
- 3. Leg Raises
- Lie on your back, with your operated leg straight, and the other one bent at 90°
- Tighten your thigh muscle as you lift your operated leg as high as the other leg.
- Gently bring back the leg to its initial position.
- Remember to keep your knee straight and rolled out during the exercise.
Note: Keep your operated leg at 45° and your knee at 90°.
- 4. Heel Slides
- Lie down with legs straightened.
- You need to slide your heel up till your buttocks.
- Keep your knee pointed to the ceiling and bend it as much as you can.
- Keep cardboard or any sliding sheet-like thing underneath the heel to help you move faster.
Note: For a slick surface and less friction, you can use a thick tray or cardboard.
- 5. Mini Kicks
- Lie down with your back on a bed or a soft surface such as a mat.
- Keep a roll of towel or a bottle under your knee, keeping the knee slightly bent.
- Relax your leg on the roll and move it slightly, lift your foot and only straighten your bent knee.
- Hold your 5 seconds and then lower back the leg back to the surface.
Note: keep your other leg in a comfortable position and make sure to breathe normally.
Remember to perform ten repetitions of each exercise two times a day. Apart from these exercises, you need to be active with regular walking, climbing, and everyday activities.
There are chances of knee pain or swelling of knees after or during the exercises. So do not panic. If the pain is unbearable, you may have to call your knee replacement specialist for further advice. Consistency is the key, thus ensure to perform all these mentioned activities regularly and religiously. Have you checked out our other informative posts on knee surgery and much more? If not, then visit our website now.
For more queries and problems with knee replacement, feel free to call us, and we are sure to help you out.