55. Dr. Mody Receives Invitation to Lecture at the Prestigious Imperial College of London.
The Imperial College, London is one of the classic bastions of English scholarship. It is not an everyday event that they would invite people from developing countries to teach their audience. The Orthopaedic Surgery Department of Imperial College organizes an annual event called ‘The Great Debate’ where top surgeons from across the world are invited to convey their original ideas to surgeons from different parts of United Kingdom. The meeting is considered an apex level scientific platform in the field of Total Joint Replacement Surgery.
54. It is for the first time that an Indian has been invited as a teaching faculty at this prestigious event.
In an interview Dr. Mody said “ It is a great pleasure for me to receive this invitation because I started my journey in this area of surgical expertise as a student in United Kingdom 15 years ago, and today the wheel has turned a full circle and I am invited back as a teacher!”.
Dr. Mody has been receiving invitations from all over the world to teach this technique to other doctors. He is the Director & Chief Joint Replacement Surgeon of ‘Welcare Hospital’, Vadodara, Gujarat.
53. Dr. Bharat Mody Receives an Award of 1,00,000 Yen from the Japanese Orthopaedic Association
Japan is the second largest economy in the world after United States of America. It has one of the most well developed health care systems in the world. Japanese Orthopaedic Association invites submission of scientific papers from across the world. The best three papers are selected for an award of 1,00,000 Japanese Yen to be presented at their annual conference. This year one thousand five hundred papers had been submitted for this award selection.
Dr. Bharat S Mody, a nationally and internationally recognized Joint Replacement Surgeon working in Baroda and having his Welcare Hospital, had also submitted a research paper titled “Achieving High Flexion after Total Knee Replacement Surgery” for this competition. This paper was one of the three selected for this prestigious award. It was for the first time that a scientific paper from India was selected for this honor.
Dr. Mody’s paper was about a new technique which he has developed, which allows his patients to sit cross legged on the ground after Knee Replacement Surgery.
Japanese culture is also a ground culture like our Indian society where people fold their legs fully to perform various activities like praying, marriage, ceremony having community food events, etc.
Dr. Mody received this award in Kobe, Japan on May 23, 2007.
52. Asia-Pacific Arthroplasty Society (APAS) Annual Conference, Chennai, India, 18-20th August 2017
Dr.Mody was an Honoured Guest Speaker for the APAS Foundation talk on:
The Inside Scoop on Setting up a Health Facility for Improved Patient Outcomes
His above talk was applauded by everyone in the audience which comprised of national and international orthopaedic surgeons.He even got a request from a senior Australian Orthopaedic surgeon to allow his team to visit Welcare Hospital!
Dr Mody also delivered a talk on:
Dealing with severe flexion deformity in TKA
Hechaired a session on: Revision Knee PJI- Save the knee and the heartburn
51. Live Webcast of Knee Replacement surgery conducted by Dr. Bharat Mody, organised by Maxx Orthopaedics, Worldwide, 17 June 2017
Dr.Mody gave a live demonstration of knee replacement surgery from Welcare Hospital, using the newly developed Freedom Knee, with the help of high end technology .This was transmitted live to the academic institute of Maxx Orthopaedics as well as to more than 300 Orthopaedic surgeons worldwide.It was followed by an interactive session where Dr Mody answered questions from the audience.
50. ISKSAA Global Summit, 10th international congress, New Delhi, 20-23 November 2016
It is the largest Orthopaedic specialty event in India, attended by over 1500 delegates and addressed by 50 international and 100 national faculty
Dr.Mody was invited to moderate a session on:
Anticoagulation in Arthroplasty: Current Concepts
He also delivered a talk on:
-Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism in Indians
49. Asia-Pacific Arthroplasty Society (APAS) 17th Annual Conference, Penang, Malaysia, 25-28th August 2016
Dr.Mody was an invited faculty at this international conference.He presented various talks to the august audience from all over the world –
– TKA in severe varus deformity
– Fixed flexion contractures and Total Knee Arthroplasty
– TKA in Young Adults- what is the evidence?
– Revision of massive bone defects in Total Knee Arthroplasty
– An overview of epidemiology and chemo-prophylaxis for DVT in Arthroplasty
He also participated with other international faculty in the Panel Discussion Session on -Complex Knee Cases
48. IAA-ASIA Joint Annual Congress, Agra, India, 23-25th October 2015 Dr.Mody was the President and Organising Chairman of this conference.
He successfully conducted this conference with a large attendance of foreign delegates and foreign faculty apart from many national faculty members and delegates He moderated and chaired many sessions during the conference.
He also presented a talk on:
– TKA in Young Adults-Evidence Review in Literature
47. Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society (APAS) 16th Annual Conference, New Delhi, India, 11-13th September 2015
Dr.Mody was one of the Organising Chairmen from India.He presented talks on:
– The impact of patello-femoral joint decompression in achieving safe high flexionafter TKA
– Revision of the unstable TKA
– Revision of massive bone defects in TKA
– How to transition from Primary TKA to Revision TKA
Participated in The GreatDebate for: Case for cemented monoblock tibial tray He also chaired and moderated various sessions during the conference
46. 26thWorldCongressoftheInternationalSocietyofOrthopaedicSurgeryand Traumatology(SICOT), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 19-23rd November 2014
Dr.Mody presented two talks at this popular international conference:
– Ten year results of the All-Poly Monoblock Tibia in a patient population with high Flexionpostures as part of their routine Activities of Daily Living (ADL)
– The Management of Moderate and Severe Fixed Flexion Contracture During Total Knee Arthroplasty and the Natural History of Residual Deformity After The Surgery
45. Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society (APAS) 15th Annual Conference, Chengdu, China, June 2014
Dr.Mody gave a talk in the Hip/Knee Masterclass Workshop on:
High flexion Knee: Sigma RPF to PS 150
44. 14th EFORTCongress, Istanbul, Turkey, 5th-7th June 2013
Dr.Mody was invited to present a paper on: TKR in Young Adults
43. International Joint Symposium on Advanced Medical and Human Assist Systems andon Technology in Arthroplasty for Floor Sitting Life Style,Saga, Japan, 8th March 2013
Dr. Bharat Mody was invited to give a Plenary lecture in the above symposium on:
The Impact of Patello-Femoral Joint Decompression in Achieving Safe High Flexion (greater than 135 degrees) After Total Knee Arthroplasty
Dr.Mody was the only invited faculty from India amongst others from Canada, USA, UK, New Zealand, Indonesia, China, etc
42. ISTA, 25th Annual Congress, Sydney, Australia, 3-6 October 2012
-Dr.Mody was invited to present a paper in the session „Knee Arthroplasty Outcomes‟ on:
Ten Years of Results of the All-Poly Monoblock Tibia in a Patient Population With High Flexion Postures as Part of Their Activities of Daily Living (ADL)
41. Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society(APAS) 14th Annual Conference, Mumbai, 23-25August 2012
– Was invited as faculty to take part in a debate on Fixed or Mobile Bearing against Dr Fred Buechel.Dr.Mody talked on: Why Fixed Bearing?
– He was a panelist on the panel discussion on: How do you minimise the risk ofinfection at each step?
– He was a moderator in the session on:The nitty-gritty of deformity correction: Varus
40. Complex Primary Hip and Knee Cadaver Course at Bangkok, Thailand, May 18-19,2012
Delivered lectures on the following topics:
– Course overview and objective ( as a faculty)
– Approaches to Total Knee Surgery
– Wear and Fixation issues in Fixed Bearing- TKA
– Fixed Flexion Contractures & Total Knee Arthroplasty
– Challenges in correction- gross valgus with instability
– Case discussion
– Joint line level clinical significance in TKA
– Tips to avoid Patella Clunk
– Total Knee Arthroplasty in Obese patients
39. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) 2012 Annual Meeting from February 7-11 in San Francisco, USA
Attended the above meeting
38. The Sixth International Congress ofChinese Orthopaedic Association 2011, & APAS 2011,Beijing, ChinaDecember 2- 4th,2011
Invited for a talk on:
Ten year results of the All-Poly Monoblock Tibia in a patient population with High flexion postures as part of their routine Activities of Daily Living (ADL)
37. 12th EFORT Congress Copenhagen , Denmark, 1st June 2011 – 4th June 2011
Was invited as a faculty to talk on:
Ten year result of the All-Poly Monoblock Tibia in a population with high flexion postures as part of their routine Activities of Daily Living (ADL)
36. HOKUSAI Investigator Meeting in Athens, Greece,on 25th & 26th March 2011
Was specially invited to attend the above meeting as a clinical trial investigator
35. 24th International Scientific Congressof Bangladesh Orthopaedic Society BOSCON 2011, at Dhaka, Bangladesh on 26 & 27 February 2011
Was invited as a faculty to deliver lectures on:
1.Selection Of Implants.
2.Primary Bone Cuts in TKR.
3.Achieving High Flexion -Post TKR.
Live Surgical Demonstration of Total Knee Replacement surgery.
34. 2nd EFORT Asia Symposium , Taipei 3rd November 2010
– What is the rationale for choosing a knee prosthesis-valuevis-a visfunction- Asian perspective.
– Management of VTE
– Moderator – Q&A and panel discussion on- Management of post Thrombotic Syndrome
33. 6thCongress of Asia Pacific Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis, Bali, Indonesia13-16thOctober 2010
Was invited as a speaker on: Rivaroxabanafter hip & knee replacement surgery.
32. 2nd EFORT Asia Symposium Preparation Meeting, Madrid , Spain, 3rd June 2010
Participated as a member of the Executive Committee for the 2nd EFORT Asia Symposium
31. 11th EFORT Congress2010, Madrid, Spain,2 – 5 June 2010
Was invited as a faculty to talk on:
What is a successful total knee replacement? -The Asian perspective.
30. 1st EFORT (European Federation of Orthopaedics and Traumatology)-ASIA SYMPOSIUM,Bangkok, Thailandduring October 2009
Was invited to talk on:
“Is the definition of a successful total knee replacement the same for an Asian patient as for Europeanpatient? – The Asian‟s definition”
Consequences of different bearingsurfaces(Moderator) – Arthroplasty Session
He also participated in the discussion on:
Current practice ofthromboprophylaxis in orthopaedic surgery in different countries
29. 22nd Annual Congress of the ISTA2009, Hawaii , October 22nd-24th 2009
Was invited to present a paper on: Obtaining High Flexion using standard implants in TKR
28. SigmaFocus PanelMeetingRomeOctober 2009
Invited to deliver lectures on:
•Professional education needs for TKR – The Indian Situation
•Implants for high function knees – The needs of the Indian Population
27. 11th Annual Conference Scientific meeting of the Asia-Pacific Arthroplasty Society-APAS China, 4th-6th September 2009
Was invited as a faculty to deliver a lecture on:
•Why is Aspirin not recommended for VTE Prevention: Insight overview, Guideline ACCP vs. AAOS.
•Panel discussion onGrafting for primary tibial condylar defect
26. The Great Debate on “Early intervention in the Hip & Knee”, IMAX theatre, London (UK), 23rd-24th January 2009
Was invited as a faculty for a debate on “Early intervention in the Hip and Knee” by The Imperial College, London, at IMAX Theatre, Science Museum, London. He discussed on the topic of „Obtaining high flexion after Total Knee Joint Replacement‟. The lecture was well received and appreciated by the members. Dr Mody is the first Indian doctor to have received such an invitation. The programme was attended by 350 Specialist Orthopaedic Surgeons from across the world.
25. China Delta APAS course held at PLA Hospital, Beijing, China from 5th Dec to 7th Dec 2008
Essential skill set for revision and complex primary hip and knee arthroplasty course- A Delta
Foundation event. (An intensive skill enhancement course based on live surgery and high density discussion).
1)Dr Mody was invited as a faculty to deliver lectures on:
•Managing severe deformity and bone loss in primary TKA,
•Non- allograft management of bone defects in severe primary knee deformities.
2)He was invited as a host in live surgeries on:
•Revision TKA Case-1 TC3,
•Major Bone Loss-TC3 with stem extension „Augment/ bone graft.
3)He participated in panel discussion on the following topics:
•Knees- Problem Knees (Complex primary and revision, •Knees- Problem Case,
•Hip -Problem Hip.
4)He was also invited as a moderator for Revision -THA -(Case 3-Post Sepsis Stage-II reconstruction (Corail or Solution stem/Pinnacle or ASR-XL).
24. Indonesia Orthopaedic Association Conference, Bali, 27-29th November 2008
Was invited as a faculty at Indonesia Orthopaedic Association Conference, Westin Resort, Nusa Dua, Bali organized from 27th November to 29th November 2008 where eminent orthopaedic surgeons were invited from across the world.
He delivered lectures on the topics:
•Bone defects in Total Knee Replacement-approach and management
•Achieving deep flexion after Total Knee Arthroplasty -Importance of surgical technique
•Total Knee Arthroplasty after HTO
He was invited to debate against Dr Doug Dennis of USA in a plenary session where he opposed on the topic: – Is Mobile Bearing superior to Fixed Bearing?
23. 10th Annual Scientific meeting of the APAS by Malaysian Orthopaedic Association
Was invited as a speaker to deliver lecture on the topic of “Impact of minimally invasive surgery on patient recovery and hospital stays” organized by Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society & Malaysian Orthopaedic Association from 22nd to 25th October 2008 in Kota Kinabalu Sabah, Malaysia. He also presented paper on „Use of wedges and augments to tackle complex primaries‟ during the conference.
22. “Range of movements of lower limb joints in cross legged sitting posture‟.
Was invited as a faculty to deliver lecture on the above topic at „Fifth SICOT/SIROT Annual International Conference‟ from 29th Aug‟07 – 1st Sept‟07 at Marrakech, Morocco, North Africa. He also presented a poster on the topic of „How to achieve deep flexion after Total Knee Replacement using Standard Implants‟.
21. Achieving High Flexion after Total Knee Arthroplasty using standard implants
Was awarded a Fellowship award of 1,00,000 Yen, by the Japanese Orthopaedic Associationon the basis of this original research paper at the 80th Annual Congress of the Japanese Orthopaedic Association, , at Kobe, Japan, in May‟07.
20. How to deal with Valgus deformities during Total Knee Arthroplasty
Was invited to author a chapter on the above topic in the Delta Manual published by the Australia based Delta Group.
19. Achieving High Flexion after Total Knee Replacement using standard Implants
Was invited as faculty to deliver a lecture on the above topic at „4thCongress of Asia Pacific Knee Society held at Seoul, Korea, during 21 to 23 September 06.
18.Preventive care of knee joints
Was invited as a faculty to deliver a lecture on the above topic at „World Gujarati Conference 2006‟, held at New Jersey, USA during 1 to 3 September 06.
17. Dealing with Fixed Flexion Deformity
Was invited as a faculty to deliver a lecture on above topic at 2nd APAS -China Foundation Course on Knee Arthroplasty, Hangzhou, China, March 2005
16. Clinical Significance of Joint Level Re-construction in TKA
Was invited as a faculty to deliver a lecture on above topic at 2nd APAS -China Foundation Course on Knee Arthroplasty, Hangzhou, China, March 2005
15. Public Awareness Talks on Radio
Was invited twice by Radio FM Fiji to talk live on Osteoarthritis of the knees and their management, in Suva Fiji, November, 2004.
14. Deep flexion following Total Knee Arthroplasty.
Was invited to present this original surgical research at the Annual meeting of the Australian Knee Society, at Sydney, Australia on 22nd October‟ 2004.
13. Fixed Flexion Deformities and Total Knee Arthroplasty
Invited as a guest speakerto talk on the above topic, at the 6th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Asia Pacific ArthroplastySociety , held at Beijing, China in April 2004.
12.Determinant of Post-operative Ability to Sit Cross-legged (High Flexion) after Total Knee Arthroplasty – Surgical Technique or Implant Design?
Paper on the above topic presented at the 5th APAS Meet, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on 9th August, 2003
11. Osteoarthritis & Bone cuts in TKR
Talked on the above subject to the doctors of Kenya Medical Association at the Pandya Hospital, Mombasa, June 2003
10. Understanding Osteoarthritis
Delivered this talk to the general public, at the Rajyoga Centre, Nairobi, Kenya, June 2003 and at the Lohana Hall, Mombasa, Kenya, June 2003
9. A new technique for percutaneous release of Dupuytren’s contracture.
Liverpool-Manchester Meeting. July 1993.
8. Early results of ABC ligament in chronic ACL deficiency.
“Ligaments and Tendons in Orthopaedic Surgery” – Meeting organised by the Biomaterials Group ofthe Biological Engineering Society. Cambridge. May 1992.
7. Early results of ABC ligament in chronic ACL deficiency.
British Association for Surgery of Knee (BASK). Annual meeting. March 1992.
6. A new technique for percutaneous release of Dupuytren’s contracture.
British Society for Surgery of the Hand (BSSH). Autumn Meeting. November 1992.
5. Recurrent dislocation of shoulder and humeral torsion.
B.S.Mody, J.J.Dias, D.B.L.Finlay, R.A.Richardson
British Elbow and Shoulder Surgeons (BESS) Fourth Annual Meeting. Exeter. April 1992.
4. Early results of ABC ligament in chronic ACL deficiency.
Leicester-Nottingham Meeting. 1991.
Declared second best presentation.
Delivered a lecture, on invitation, to the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Leicester
Royal Infirmary. September 1991.
2. Early results of the ABC ligament in chronic ACL deficient knees.
B.S.Mody, L.Howard, M.L.Harding, H.V.Parmar, J.R.Thompson.
Nottingham International Knee Symposium, November, 1991.
1. Fracture of the occipital condyle.
Royal College of Surgeons of England, Overseas Doctors Training Scheme Annual Day, July 1990.